PlayCleanGo – Stop Invasive Species In Your Tracks is a Trademarked logo and set of invasive species messages targeting terrestrial activities
Basic Message: Help Prevent the Spread of Invasive Plant and Animals
- Arrive with clean gear
- Burn local or certified firewood
- Use local or weed-free hay
- Stay on the trails
- Before leaving, remove mud and seeds
Goal: Promote responsible prevention actions pertaining to terrestrial invasive species.
- Incorporate the PlayCleanGo message into NYS invasive species outreach program
- Initiate a pilot project using the PlayCleanGo messaging in the FL PRISM region
Play Clean Go sign with one highlighted invasive species and three others highlighted. The invasive species highlighted can be altered to specific locations and invasive species of concern. Logos can be altered to include specific logos. Pictures of other signs with different species highlighted are available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2FK_bMtIDKNck1uYUFIYXRrWGs&usp=sharing
|Bootbrush construction at the NYS DEC Avon Office by HWS summer research student, Ren Workman, and the Excelsior Conservation Corps. interns in the Finger Lakes. Instructions and supply list is below. Bootbrushes were installed on the NYSDEC forest land during the summer of 2016.|
Invoice for the printing of one aluminum sign with the specifications for printing from VOSS Signs, Manlius, NY.
Supplies (per station):
- (2) 4”x4”x 12’ pressure treated lumber cut in half and use for posts
- (1) 2″ x 6″ outdoor lumber to mount bootbrush and use as a frame for the sign
- Lag bolts and screws that fit into the four corner holes
- TO USE CONCRETE:
- Ready to use Concrete Mix (Quikrete or similar) – one or two 50 lb bags,
- Water to mix cement
- TO USE POST ANCHORS:
- Post wedges or post screws with 4 x 4 anchors
- (2) braces or brackets to mount bootbrush to posts
- Deck screws
- Bootbrush sign
- Bootbrush itself
- Rubber mallet to tamp post anchors to ground
- Post hole digger
- Screw gun and drill bit
- Cut the 4”x4” in half and cut each end to a 45 degree angle.
IF USING CONCRETE:
- Dig the two holes at least 2 feet below ground.
- Place posts in ground and make adjustments for height and width.
- Cement posts into ground making sure they are level. Let dry.
IF USING POST ANCHORS
- Choose location and measure distance between the two posts to fit the signage
- Tamp the post anchors into ground being aware of the measured distance needed between the two posts
- Attach the 4″ x 4″ posts to the anchors
- Measure and cut the 2″ x 6″ lumber to fit between the two posts with the bootbrush mounted to the lumber
- Mount the bootbrush to this piece of wood
- Attach braces/brackets to the posts
- Attach the 2″ x 6″ lumber to the brackets/braces
- Measure and cut the remaining 2″ x 6″ and mount to the posts
- Use deck screws to attach wood to top of posts.
- Attach sign to the frame and bolt in place
- Admire your work.
Paint or stain 4×4 posts.
Organisms that have text:
- Japanese stiltgrass
- Garlic mustard
- Slender falsebrome
- Autumn olive
- Multiflora rose
- Border privet
- Crown vetch
- Spotted knapweed
- Wild parsnip
- Common reed
- Asiatic bittersweet
- Canada thistle
- Smooth brome
- Common tansy
- Invasive earthworms